Missouri State Support Committee Bylaws
The mission of the Cotton Research and Promotion Program is to improve the demand for and the profitability of cotton through research and promotion activities. The Missouri State Support Committee (the Committee) helps Cotton Incorporated fulfill this mission by identifying, recommending, and funding research projects that address the needs of Missouri cotton growers. The Committee’s yearly budget is a portion of the total value of all Missouri cotton bales determined by the Cotton Board in cooperation with Cotton Incorporated. Committee oversight and management is provided by Cotton Incorporated staff. Committee members and advisors serve voluntarily without compensation.
The Committee shall be individuals who are producers of U.S. upland cotton and reside in Missouri. Members shall consist of:
- State Directors and Alternates of the Cotton Incorporated Board of Directors
- State Directors and Alternates of the Cotton Board of Directors
- Cotton Producers of Missouri: Chairman, Vice Chairman, and Secretary/Treasurer
- Other Missouri cotton producers as appointed by the State Support Committee
The Committee shall have two officers – a Chair, and Vice Chair selected from Committee members. All officers shall serve a three-(3) year term and may serve consecutive terms. The Chairman will be assisted by the Executive Vice-President of the Missouri Cotton Producers in the performance of all duties of the Chairman. The officers will be selected at the annual review of projects by a majority of the voting members present.
The Chair shall convene and preside over meetings of the Committee. The Chair shall appoint any subcommittees necessary to aid in the operation of the Committee. The Chairman will attend any subcommittee.
The Vice-Chair shall preside over meetings of the Committee in the absence of, or at the direction of, the Chair.
The Chairman, in cooperation with Cotton Incorporated staff, shall be responsible for:
- organizing meetings;
- maintaining and distributing reports of Committee meetings;
- distributing requests for project proposals;
- circulating project proposals for Committee review;
- notifying project funding recipients;
- acting as a meeting facilitator;
The Committee may correspond with members and advisors using traditional paper methods or telecommunications.
The Committee may request, as needed, advisor(s) to provide counsel and expertise in the selection and continuation of various new and continuing research projects. Advisors will be selected from, but not limited to:
- Cotton Incorporated and Cotton Board Directors and Alternates
- Cotton Incorporated staff member(s)
- Cotton Board staff members(s)
- National Cotton Council staff member(s)
- Scientists, researchers, specialists, and crop consultants to the cotton industry
The Committee shall meet at least once each year to review projects funded in the current budget year, select projects to be funded for the upcoming budget year, and select officers upon term completion or vacancy. The Chair may call additional meetings to conduct necessary business of the Committee. All meetings of the Committee will be scheduled to enable Cotton Incorporated and Cotton Board representatives to attend. Subcommittees may meet as necessary and will be attended by the Chairman.
All members are expected to attend meetings of the Committee. A quorum must be present to conduct business of the Committee. A quorum consists of ½ + 1 of the voting members, and must include the Chair or Vice Chair.
Bylaw revisions may be approved at any meeting by a positive vote of at least a 2/3 majority of the total voting members of the Committee.