Louisiana State Support Committee Bylaw
The mission of the Cotton Research and Promotion Program is to improve the demand for and the profitability of cotton through research and promotion activities. The Louisiana State Support Committee (the Committee) helps Cotton Incorporated fulfill this mission by identifying, recommending, and funding research projects that address the needs of Louisiana cotton growers. The Committee’s yearly budget is a portion of the total value of all Louisiana cotton bales and is determined by the Cotton Board, in cooperation with Cotton Incorporated. Committee oversight and management is provided by Cotton Incorporated staff. Committee members and advisors serve voluntarily without compensation.
The Committee shall be individuals who are producers of U.S. upland cotton and reside in Louisiana. The Committee members shall serve a three (3) year term and may serve consecutive terms. Members shall consist of:
- State Directors and Alternates of the Cotton Incorporated Board of Directors;
- State Directors and Alternates of the Cotton Board of Directors;
- An individual appointed by the Louisiana Cotton Producers Association;
- An individual appointed by the Louisiana Farm Bureau Federation; and
- An individual appointed by Staplcotn, Inc.
The Committee shall have three officers—a Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary selected from Committee members. All officers shall serve a three (3) year term and may serve consecutive terms. The officers will be selected at the annual review of projects by a majority of the voting members present.
The Chair shall convene and preside over meetings of the Committee. The Chair shall appoint any subcommittees necessary to aid in the operation of the Committee.
The Vice-Chair shall preside over meetings of the Committee in the absence of, or at the direction of, the Chair.
The Secretary, in cooperation with Cotton Incorporated staff, shall be responsible for:
- organizing meetings;
- maintaining and distributing reports of Committee meetings;
- attending any subcommittee meetings and reporting to the Chair
- distributing requests for project proposals;
- circulating project proposals for Committee review;
- notifying project funding recipients;
- acting as a meeting facilitator; and
- other duties requested by the Chair or Vice Chair
The Secretary will be assisted by the Executive Vice-President of the Louisiana Cotton Producers Association (in consultation with the Louisiana Farm Bureau Federation and Staplcotn, Inc. staff) in the performance of all duties of the Secretary.
The Committee may correspond with members and advisors using traditional paper methods or telecommunications.
The Committee may consult, as needed, any advisor(s) to provide counsel and expertise in the selection and continuation of various new and continuing research projects. Advisors will be selected from, but not limited to:
- Former Cotton Incorporated and Cotton Board Directors and Alternates
- Cotton Incorporated staff member(s)
- Cotton Board staff members(s)
- National Cotton Council staff member(s)
- Louisiana Farm Bureau Federation, Louisiana Cotton Producers Association and Staplcotn, Inc. staff Scientist, researchers, specialist and crop consultants to the cotton industry
The Committee shall meet at least once each year to review projects funded in the current budget year, select projects to be funded for the upcoming budget year, and select officers upon term completion or vacancy. The Chair may call additional meetings to conduct necessary business of the Committee. All meetings of the Committee will be scheduled to enable Cotton Incorporated and Cotton Board representatives to attend. Subcommittees may meet as necessary and will be attended by the Secretary or his designee.
All members are expected to attend meetings of the Committee. A quorum must be present to conduct business of the Committee. A quorum consists of ½ + 1 of the voting members and must include the Chair or Vice Chair.
Bylaw revisions may be approved at any meeting by a positive vote of at least 5 of the 8 total voting members of the Committee.